The Department of Civil Engineering was established in 2009-2010. The Department offers a four year graduate program in Civil Engineering with an annual intake of 180 students. The Department has grown tremendously over the years. The Department is actively involved in basic and applied research and consultancy to provide high quality technical advisory support through various R & D projects.
To graduate highly qualified engineers maintain nationally recognized research and provide quality professional to serve the nation as a valuable resources.
- To create competent professional who are trained in the design and development of Civil Engineering systems and contribute towards research and development activities.
- To serve society and the national by providing professional Civil engineering leadership to find solution to community, regional and global problems and accept new challenges in rapidly changing technology.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments..
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
The B. Tech CIVIL graduates will be able to:
- Actively engage in problem solving using engineering principles to address the evolving needs of the society.
- Able to succeed in positions in civil engineering practice or research, and in other fields they choose to pursue and enroll in advanced studies.
- Make ethical decisions and demonstrate a commitment to service to the profession and society.
- Acquire a position or degree that values adaptability and innovation in their work.
- Pursue lifelong learning, and to be leaders, both in their chosen profession and in other activities.
- The Graduates of this Programme with proficiency in mathematics and physical sciences will excel in the core areas of civil engineering such as structural, environmental, geotechnical and water resources engineering.
- The graduates will plan, produce detailed drawings, write specification, analyze, design and prepare cost estimates.
- The graduates will interact with stakeholders effectively and execute quality construction work applying necessary tools.